This morning I wrote a really simple script that does the following:
- Collate a list of all the permanentenchant attribute values from my database.
- For each permanentenchant ID:
- Locate a character (realm & name) with that enchant in the correct slot in my database
- Fetch the item tooltip for that character's enchanted slot and parse the 'enchant' element
- Next, I try a pretty dumb lookup on WowHead '+40 Spell Power' didn't work but others like 'Unholy Weapon' were correctly identified.
- For anything that's left, I compare the '+40 Spell Power' to the huge enchantment list on WoWWiki and then return to WowHead with the name of the enchant as seen on WowWiki.
Thirty seconds later the script has finished and my list now maps:
permanentenchant:'2669' -> tooltip:'+40 Spell Power' -> spell:'27975'
The result of all this is I now publish an XML file from my database with all the permanentenchant ID's mapped either to a 'spell' or 'item' ID suitable for WowHead. There are a few in the list where both 'spell' and 'item' are 0 - these haven't been figured out and will require manual attention to update.
This XML File is published under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License, you are free to copy, distribute and adapt the data provided credit is given to the source of the data (i.e. a link to my site).